Saturday, December 11, 2010

Mumbai... It's people, It's spirit! --- Part 2








It is so extensive to speak about Mumbai. It is known as the City of Dreams and truly deserves the tag. Somehow, there is always an opportunity for anyone to make a living. That is why you have a high number of immigrants coming from all corners of our amazing country.


This city actually symbolises the map of India. A Lady with open arms, welcoming all. As said before, anyone can make some sort of a living here. Somehow, somewhere they will find some shelter here.


The city is open to all. Mumbai is home to Asia's biggest slum as well as the world's costliest house.

















It is home to people from all walks of people. In one side, you have the countries richest business tycoons, media agencies, movie stars, cricketers and then you have the channawalahs (roadsie peanut sellers), nariyal paaniwaalas (roadside coconut water vendors), roadside chaats, boot polish, etc.





I agree that the city can be insensitive and it has many notorious examples of it. But more often than not, the city always rises above the situations and challenges like the megafloods of Mumbai. Unknown strangers serving tea to strangers stranded in the water, people supplying biscuits or fruits (whatever they could), volunteers who would go in the waist-deep waters and stand near pot-holes to warn others about the unknown danger are all now a part of the folklore.

Speaking about my experiences with people in Mumbai, there are so much. How about how amazed I was when my rickshaw driver took a boy (who had been asking for directions) and dropped him at his location? And then when the boy takes out a 10 rupee note, the driver just smiles and says "No". How about the rickshaw friend who used to drop me home free so many times? How about the bus conductors who were so cordial that they would always alarm me before my stop (just because I informed them I have no idea which stop I need to get down except for the name). How about the showrooms where they will show you every item they have and don't even make a grimace if you don't buy after all that. Haa, Mumbai... You made me tough but also gave me a false perception that people all around the world are the same helpful and professional. Imagine my culture shock with rickshaw drivers in Bangalore who will charge whatever they think the rate is, fight with you, quarrel over the destination, the unprofessional showroom sales people, or in NY when I was shocked by the rude responses when I was just enquiring about the rates of different watches, monkey caps, taxi driver asking for tips, Internet cafe shop person not showing me how to swipe in the card and log-in when I just asked for guidance, etc..

I do not want to glorify the terrorist attacks by spelling them out, but the city needs to be applauded for the way it gets back on it's feet everytime after such barbaric acts has happened. People will be out taking the same streets and local trains, fighting fear but going on. This city is made of such people, and maybe they are made of the city.


Salaam Mumbai!!!

2 comments:

  1. Full-to jingoism on Mumbai, ani.

    I think, it's the mutual feeling that people share in Mumbai that makes the spirit different from other cities.

    The feeling that we all came here to survive, make a living, and a life. That kind of feeling and understanding brings out acts of kindness when calamities strike.

    On the other side, the feeling that I came here to make my own life, makes Mumbaikars have a "chalta hain" attitude.

    Also, the daily grind of life desensitizes people here... For example, I remember two incidents when somebody died under the train I was travveling in. Then, they stopped the train for taking out the dead body. Fellow travellers were heard commenting: "Isko yehi train mila tha kya marne ke liye?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah... But even NY is the same... Infact people from different countries come there to make a life... but still the people are so different from Mumbaikars.. Infact, in our own country we do not see anyone like a Mumbaikar...
    It is desensitized which is true... But still... Not just the daily grind but the daily struggle, the daily fight... It has all made everyone say "It's life, all this happens"...
    Ahhhm, miss it... Miss the simple things like rushing into the train, nudging and pushing people... a friendly rickshaw driver... vada pav stalls, chaats... hehe.. everything..

    ReplyDelete