Friday, January 28, 2011

Not all who wander are lost

The above title is not my creation but something which I read somewhere. It has really struck a chord in me. I don't know but I really love those words.

I have seen many saints in TVMalai, living under the grace of Arunachala. They would be just sitting around, walking around, eating "anna daanam" (food donated to them), sipping some tea. I have not been to Rishikesh or Badrinath or any such places. But I have seen pictures and so can imagine the different sects of Saints in this great spiritual country:
Saints who are complete renunciates but still living in acceptable social norms.
Saints who find some guru and live completely surrendered to him
Saints who live in complete secrecy trying to empower chakras and attain other siddhi's (Occult powers)
Saints who are outright rebels (like Aghoris) and so misunderstood that their mere sighting fills the common man's heart with fear
Saints who live in caves alone

Then there are the seekers. The householders, who have this strange enquiry within them but still not "ready" to leave and renunciate. Just a visit to TVMalai fills my heart with respect for those Europeans, Americans, Asians, etc. who have travelled so many miles to find "truth" or understand the concept. Of course, I am aware of Indians too who are genuine seekers out there. Speaking to this seekers, my life is slightly enriched to see that there are individuals who are thirsty for such kind of knowledge. They are ready to roam around India and visit many more such places.

Haa.. Back home, I see old people still wanting to "own" a house in the twilight of their lives. In the Newspaper, you see stories of corruption, murder, rapes, etc.. People moving form one place to another, from one job to another, from one goal to another. As a child all you want is milk, then after some time you need toys, then the desires multiply to more subtle levels like love, success, ambitions. Such is a general man's life. The desire is always there, just the object of desire changes. And what all lengths we go to achieve something after which we will just replace that void with someone else.

So the first time I read that title, I was filled with the thoughts like the one typed above.

Bangalore has a Maitreya Buddha Pyramid Spiritual centre and on it's route, you also see many other such institutions like Yogavana Hills, Art of Living, Gurukula, etc.. I feel I will certainly visit Yogavana Hills. But then thats in the future, so lets see. When I visited the Pyramid structure, I saw families who were visiting the place as if it is a picnic spot. But then, in the same premises, they had constructed Tapasthali. It is slightly 500-800 mts away from the Pyramid. Not everyone goes there as the road is not properly constructed (I hope it does not get contructed ever). The place had a small open hutment and a 6 feet high of Shiva facing the East. There is just the sound of the wind breezing through and nothing else. Let the ones who stop at the Pyramid and take photos, let them do so and the ones who meditate inside, let them be blessed. While the others who can wander all the way to Tapasthali and enjoy the peace and serenity, may they too be blessed.

1 comment:

  1. When you are all that there is, how can you ever be lost?! When there is no duality... then only one exists.

    Great title.

    ReplyDelete