Saturday, April 24, 2010

Insensitivity - Is it natural?

Last week, I was informed over the phone that my grand mom passed away. For 2 hours or so, I was distraught. I started reminiscing about old school vacation days when we would go to Kallepuly, Pallakad where our grand parents used to stay. Memories like how I used to dislike my grandpa as he used to make us write maths tables on vacations, make us sleep early and beat us whenever we were indisciplined, how I used to like the calming effect of my grandmom, how I used to touch her very smooth stomach with my palm and say "Aiyee, so smooth", How we used to play in the lawn, and then the last time I met her. It was 2 years back and she had grown really week and frail. I felt guilty as I had spoken to her just a week back when she enquired when I will come to visit her (now that she was in my folks house) and 2 days back where she expressed her happiness over my change in shift timings.

But then, after those 2 hours or so, I did not feel much. Of course, there is a certain tinge of something missing but not exactly the kind of grievance you would attach to this kind of tragedy. I know I am not exactly spiritually evolved as I remember getting up one morning very sad as I had a very bad dream where I witness my brother in an accident and then go running around scared(I still remember that pain I felt at that time, It was so real). So is it that her being old (she was in her 80's) made me not feel a deeper grief? Or was it the emotional distance I had acquired due to not meeting here regularly or talking to her frequently? I feel it is a mix of both. But this insensitivity... It makes me wonder, why?

Not sure what answers I am looking for while I am writing here... But just thought of penning this down, a sort of confession. I feel a certain amount of guilt for this sort of indifference or insensitivity I have (whichever it is).

Not a means to justify it, but I have deep belief in nothing reallly dies but "passes on" to another form/stage/life. I hope and wish that the currently departed soul flows through the cycle of life and experiences all that it chooses to and gets nearer to the oneness we all seek...

No comments:

Post a Comment